Monday, September 19, 2011

My time...

After a long, exhausting day, I always say there's nothing better than a chubby paw wrapped around your neck.

Or wait. Maybe sometimes I say, "Man, I wish I had just five minutes when someone wasn't hanging on me or calling my name in a chorus over and over and over..."

Yeah, that's more like it.

Tess cried out a few minutes after I had tucked her in for the night. We are serious about bedtime around here, and usually I have no problem responding with all business. After all, it was the first time the house had been quiet since six o'clock this morning. But tonight was different for some reason. Her tiny voice called my name, and before I knew it, I was laying in bed beside her.

My heart wasn't in that compassionate place at first. There were dishes to clear from the kitchen sink, and surely a load or two of laundry to fold. And a ten year old boy would need tucked in soon, after his bonus reading minutes had expired. I had computer work to do, and a list forming in my mind of the rest of the week's events. This was supposed to be my time; the first efficient time in my day.

She snuggled up so close that I could feel her nose-breath hitting my face, and it almost made me giggle. Just when I thought she was asleep, she kissed me on my lips, and I could feel the shape of hers smile. Her right hand was smack in the middle of my left cheek, pressing down like a paperweight, ensuring that I wasn't going to sneak out unnoticed anytime soon.

And then I snuggled in too. This time wrapping my arms around her, instead of hoping for a quick escape. I told her that I loved her very much, and she said thank you very much.

And I realized that sixteen will be here before I know it.

2 comments: