Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring cleaning can be so emotional...

Ok, not really. It's actually quite refreshing. Tyler switched our garage over from Winter to Spring yesterday, which meant storing the snow blower, removing the dead mice that we didn't realize we'd caught, and clearing out the junk that had accumulated over the past few cold months. Tyler is an organizational genius, so it involved way more than that, but you get the idea (and now I'm off the hook if he actually reads this!).

Part of that junk? This old highchair. Almost nine years old to be exact. Tess recently moved into a booster seat, and we were happy to regain our floor space that the high chair has occupied, every day, since 2001.

Wow, we've been doing this baby thing for a long time.

I'm really anti-clutter. Trust me when I say that I love a good purging. And I'm even okay with getting rid of this baby stuff. I've dealt with those emotions already, and it feels good to love where we are in this stage of life. But as I packed up the high chair for good, I do have to say that I got a little emotional.

Four babies have eaten in this thing, from their first bites of rice cereal, to learning how to use a fork for the first time.

I've scrubbed crayon and paint off the tray more times than I can remember.

I've depended on it, combined with a trusty Baby Einstein video, as a means to get my shower many mornings.

I've ordered replacement cover after replacement cover from Graco to keep it going all these years.

And every once in a while, when I was busy cleaning up lunch, I would find a baby who couldn't hold out for naptime any longer...

... fast asleep.

No comments: