Saturday, November 6, 2010

Two are better...

This was my breakfast in bed last week... made by Mr. I'm-pretty-much-good-at-everything. The boys love it when Daddy's home to make breakfast. He always comes up with something new and creative and fun. And he even cooks to rockin' music and says, "Bam!" a lot when he flips his pancakes, which makes him cooler than cool in their book. He can cook, clean and even decorate better than me. When we first got married, his crazy amount of talent used to bother me. Our first fight was over a wall hanging, and whose creative eye was more, well... creative. Wasn't I supposed to be the one who excelled in homemaking? But I quickly learned that marriage is not a competition. God gave me this talented man to add to my strengths and help me in my weaknesses. And most of all? Through our relationship, to reflect Christ to a world that needs to see Him. And all of that domestic skill? I wish his momma was still around to thank for that.

One morning last week each boy trickled down one-by-one from their night's sleep - about fifteen minutes apart. So I was able to spend some rare one-on-one time with each of them. Tyler told me once that even when he was old enough to want a little space (ok, a lot of space) from his mom, he would always let her get close to scratch his back. Even though they still want me around every minute of their awake life, point well taken and tucked down deep in my heart.

So I scratched each back, and prayed for the young girls who will one day marry Jack Tyler, Trey Andrew and Chase Dylan. I prayed specifically, keeping in mind the personality of each boy. Each gift, and each quirk. The evident charming qualities, and, yes, the characteristics that will require much patience and forgiveness from a spouse. And I prayed that they would not take this decision lightly... the biggest decision they will make in their lifetimes, next to surrendering their lives to Jesus.

God knew that we'd have to forgive each other often, but He also knew I would appreciate things like an alphabetized spice cabinet and vacuum lines in V-shaped patterns...

I'm so glad He did...

1 comment:

Martha said...

Oh, Whitney. I really needed to read this one this very night. God really does know what we need when we need it, doesn't He? Love you and miss you!